Saturday, March 27, 2010

Earth Hour, Schmearth Hour.

  • ~~~Sorry, but I am not getting on this bandwagon.  Shutting off all the electricity for an hour at 8:30 p.m. is stupid.  For one thing, it screws up my two favourite Saturday night shows, Heartbeat and Midsomer Murders.  I hardly watch any TV but I never miss these.  And for another thing, I think every day is Earth Day.  After all, that's where we live.  Right?  So I intend to continue being as eco-conscious as I always am in my day-to-day lifeI re-use and recycle more than most and I am very aware of my energy consumption.  Lights off, heat down, limited use of energy suckers like the dryer, all my appliances are energy savers, etc. etc. etc.  And one more thing -- what happens when everyone flashes all their electricity back on at 9:30?  Surely that's not a good thing, is it?   ~~~  there I said it.*

On a lighter note - I made this adorable dress and hat for darling granddaughter's second Easter:


The dress is the Jane Austen dress from Mason-Dixon: Knitting Outside the Lines  and the hat is the Rosy Scalloped hat from Tot Toppers .  Both very simple patterns.  I took the advice of other Ravelry knitters and made size 4.  I think size 2 would be too small for my little munchkin.  As she doesn't live nearby I'll have to wait for pictures of her wearing it.


* please don't call the Power Police

2 comments:

kate said...

Well stated, Julie. I think it can be a powerful visual tool when used by a city (thinking of blocks of tall buildings going dark) but as you say, every day should be earth day. Those cities don't seem to follow through with making the changes part of their regular practice, so then what was it other than a stunt?

And I love that dress - can't wait to see pictures when you get them!

Kathy said...

Love the dress and hat! I am also a retired nurse and love having time to do my knitting. I'm also a huge fan of Midsomer Murders. I guess we have more than knitting in common!